Cold Brook School was found as a stone ruin covered with vegetation and rubbish. The structure's remarkable reconstruction and restoration is a tribute to all involved in bringing this building back to life. Begun in May of 1993 and opened in 1997, Cold Brook School is home to the Readington Museums' fourth grade living history program, presented in partnership with the Readington Township Schools.
Long before there was a state law requiring public education, there were schools in Readington. Cold Brook School is really the second of three schools located in the village of Potterstown. The first was located somewhere near the current school, but the exact site and date of construction are unknown. Cold Brook School, built in 1828 is the second school. At that time there was no central Board of Education and no school tax levied by the municipality. Each school elected its own Trustees to oversee the educational and financial matters of the institution.
In the 1830s there was a teacher shortage. Frequently, young men and women not long out of their teens would teach for a year or two to earn enough money to continue their own education at a University or Normal school. The teacher would often "board in" or live with families of their students. Each family was expected to take its turn housing the teacher.