509 Route 523
Whitehouse Station, NJ 08889
Your rights as a Defendant in the Municipal Courts
in the State of New Jersey.
- You are PRESUMED TO BE INNOCENT until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
- You have the RIGHT TO BE INFORMED OF THE CHARGES against you.
- You have the RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT concerning the charges against you, and anything you say may be held against you.
- You have the RIGHT TO RETAIN AN ATTORNEY
- You have the RIGHT TO BE ASSIGNED AN ATTORNEY if the judge determines that you cannot afford an attorney, and there is a likelihood that if you are convicted, you will either go to jail, receive a substantial fine or your driver's license will be suspended.
- You have the RIGHT TO REQUEST A REASONABLE POSTPONEMENT so that you may have an opportunity to consult with your attorney and prepare a proper defense.
- You have the RIGHT TO TESTIFY OR NOT TO TESTIFY on your own behalf.
- You have the RIGHT TO CALL OR SUBPOENA WITNESSES to testify on your behalf.
- You have the RIGHT TO APPEAL within 20 days of any conviction.
If you think you need the services of an interpreter, please notify the municipal court administrator prior to your appearance in court.